There was a rumor going around last year that some dumb producer wanted to remake the comedy classic Overboard – I discussed it here. The rumor involved Jennifer Lopez taking the role that was originally played by Goldie Hawn, in one of her best comedic performances ever. Well, according to Us Weekly, Jennifer still wants to do Overboard, still wants to play the Goldie role, and now there are several new twists. One, Jennifer’s career is in much better shape, and this is much more likely to happen now. Two, Jennifer’s soon-to-be-ex-husband was maybe (but maybe not) boning Jada Pinkett Smith, who is married to a closet-Scientologist (like Jennifer), Will Smith. Three, Will Smith wants to make the movie with Jennifer now.
Spouse swap! Marc Anthony and Jada Pinkett Smith have already steamed up the screen on TNT’s Hawthorne – and now Jennifer Lopez is joining the Will Smith-produced remake of the 1987 romantic comedy Overboard.
“They have wanted to work together for nearly a decade,” says an insider. Now, with Jennifer’s career on the rise, she’s eager to take on the snobby heiress role that Goldie Hawn made famous.
“She can make fun of her diva reputation,” says one source. Adds another, “Will says if she pokes fun at herself, the public will really appreciate it.”
[From Us Weekly, print edition]
I did a few minutes of hunting on Google, and I found that Will’s IMDB page does not list Overboard as one of the films that Will is even mentioned for, as a star or as a producer. But! Will’s production company, which did the remake of The Karate Kid with his son Jaden, was signed on to Overboard last year, so it may still be a property that they’re developing. Now, Us Weekly doesn’t say that Will wants to star in the movie with Jennifer, presumably in the Kurt Russell role, but it’s implied, isn’t it? Ugh. How would you feel about it if Jennifer and Will starred in an Overboard remake? I feel ill.
Photos courtesy of Fame.
Written by Kaiser
- Who butchered the National Anthem? [D-Listed]
- Rob Lowe never ages [Lainey Gossip]
- What is Vanessa Hudgens wearing? [Go Fug Yourself]
- Summer guide to reality TV [Reality Tea]
- Game of Thrones recap [Pajiba]
- Tan Mom’s music video [Buzzfeed]
- Amanda Knox is broke [Starcasm]
- Backstage at the Billboard Awards [Popsugar]
- Miley is still stuck in the 90s [Popoholic]
- Blind Items revealed: Adam Levine [CDAN]
- Hugh Hefner bought Crystal Harris a house [Celebslam]
- What happened to Aimee Teegarden? [The Blemish]