Well, the Cannes Film Festival has drawn to a close. Surprisingly, the most Americanized Cannes Film Festival in years had no American winners. There were no French winners either. A French-language film (from an Austrian director), Amour, did take home the Palme d’Or (the biggest prize). Amour is a story about an older man taking care of his wife who has had a stroke, and both roles are played by beloved French actors. From what the Los Angeles Times is saying (read their wrap-up here), the jury liked Garrett Hedlund in On the Road (not enough to give him anything though) and they liked Matthew McConaughey in Mud. Other films that weren‘t received all that well: Lawless (Tom Hardy, Shia LaBeouf film), The Paperboy (that awful-sounding Nicole Kidman film) and Cosmopolis, which didn‘t even get an American distributor. Critics liked Moonrise Kingdom and Killing Them Softly (Brad Pitt’s latest), but there isn’t a lot of early awards buzz for either.
Cannes juror Diane Kruger wore this ridiculous Dior gown for the closing ceremonies. How can you even sit down in that? Also: Bonus Ewan McGregor.
Here are more photos from the closing ceremonies and red carpet at Cannes. Mads Mikkelsen won Best Actor for his portrait of a teacher falsely accused of molesting a student.
Andie MacDowell and her daughter, Sarah Margaret Qualley. Great genes. Andie wore Armani, Sarah wore Elie Saab.
Kylie Minogue, looking pretty (and Botoxy) in Roberto Cavalli.
Alec Baldwin and his 20-something girl, Hilaria Thomas. Her dress looks really budget.
Audrey Tautou in…?? Chanel, maybe? Vintage? I don’t know. I think Audrey is very pretty, but her style is very… cloying. At times.
Photos courtesy of WENN.
Written by Kaiser
- The Blemish interviews Carmen Electra [The Blemish]
- Rumer Willis joins Pretty Little Liars [Lainey Gossip]
- Morgan Freeman falls asleep during interview [D-Listed]
- Fug or fab: Isla Fisher [Go Fug Yourself]
- Tamra Barney confirms spinoff [Reality Tea]
- Movie franchises that rebounded [Pajiba]
- Why Dylan McKay is the perfect boyfriend [Buzzfeed]
- Saoirse Ronan could have been a Lohan [Evil Beet]
- GIFs from Cannes [Popsugar]
- Cat massages a dog [CDAN]
- Heather Graham is so pretty [Celebslam]
- What is Lucy Hale wearing? [Moe Jackson]