Celebrities don’t rough it when they go on peace-keeping and refugee missions to third world countries. A company called AFEX Group offers permanent and on-demand housing for UN officials. Accommodation in the field is provided at around $200 a night in gated luxury tent compounds outfitted with all the necessary amenities. Gourmet food, internet access, big screen televisions, a fitness center and driving range make their camps in dangerous Sudan and Kenya more resort-quality than pup tent:
Ever wondered why celebrities like Angelina Jolie have been rushing off to war zones? Life for international peacemakers may not involve quite such danger and hardship as we imagine. It seems to be more like living in an Ian Schrager hotel.
UN, UNICEF, foreign correspondents and the staff of most big aid agencies spend their time in camps run by a company called Afex. For more than $200 a night, foreigners trying to stop the war in Sudan live in luxury gated compounds (with names like Hotel California) enduring wi-fi, ensuite tents that wouldn’t look out of place in Wallpaper, satellite TV, games rooms, fully stocked bars (in this otherwise dry country) and espresso cafe.
Food-wise there’s everything from Mexican themed nights to curries, carveries, chinese buffets and ladies’ party nights.
Plus “logistics and security” experts Afex have a private army at your beck and call. They offer “asset protection” (ie can shoot anyone who looks twice at your laptop), and
“access control” (guarding you from having to come into contact with locals etc).
[From the PopBitch e-mail newsletter, January 25, 2007]
You can hardly blame them for wanting somewhere nice to stay, and I’m not saying it takes away from their charity work because it’s not like they demanded to be equipped with life’s luxuries while in the field. Of course they need security and a decent place to stay. It just seems like that money would be better spent on the very desperate people they’re trying to help, but surely I’m oversimplifying the problem.
Written by Celebitchy
- Brad Pitt & Jimmy Fallon yodel [Pajiba]
- Jennifer Love Hewitt got her baby daddy a job [Lainey]
- D-Listed's comments are back! [D-Listed]
- What is Eva Longoria wearing? [Go Fug Yourself]
- Real Housewives of OC recap [Reality Tea]
- A candidate for next Taylor Swift boyfriend [Buzzfeed]
- Vintage gossip: Ava Gardner [Evil Beet]
- Popular celebrity baby names [Popsugar]
- Emma Roberts looking scrawny [Popoholic]
- Bear gets right next to guy in tree! [CDAN]
- Melissa Joan Hart and Ryan Reynolds? [Celebslam]
- Mariah Carey poses in monokini [Starcasm]