I stopped watching Project Runway several years ago when that hippie chick making beige knit diaper shorts won in the finale. That was the moment (for me) when the show jumped the shark and I could no longer actively engage in a reality show which would have my blood boiling on a weekly basis. That being said, I do miss watching it, if only for Tim Gunn. Tim acts as the inside-the-workroom mentor to all the contestants, giving suggestions and advice. Tim is usually right. Tim is usually on-target and really smart. Anyway, Season 11 is currently airing on Lifetime and Tim was sent out to make it work, publicity-wise. He did Us Weekly’s “25 Things” feature (which I love in general), and he’s just so, so cool.
1. Few foods make me happier than French fries.
2. I had a terrible stutter as a child and a teen.
3. I’m an Anglophile.
4. I hate driving.
5. My first job was making architectural models.
6. I was a record-holding swimmer in school.
7. I’m a bit of a clean freak.
8. I never keep my shoes on in my apartment (but you can).
9. My role as mentor on Project Runway was created mere days before taping the first season.
10. My father was an FBI agent under J. Edgar Hoover for 26 years.
11. My apartment contains more than 2,500 books.
12. I haven’t gone on a vacation in 12 years.
13. I’m an HGTV junkie.
14. My favorite movie is The Wizard of Oz.
15. When people ask me for advice, I never critique the things they can’t change.
16. I’m so happy that I live in my absolute favorite city in the world, New York.
17. I go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art about once a week.
18. And I take the subway.
19. My favorite drink is a Manhattan.
20. I have not had an intimate relationship in 20 years.
21. I cook dinner for myself almost every night.
22. I make a great meatloaf.
23. I love dogs, especially mutts.
24. I have an aversion to parties.
25. If you have spinach in your teeth, I will tell you.
I knew his dad was in the FBI (he’s talked about that before) and he grew up in the Beltway. I also knew that he has been celibate for 20 years, which I still think is sad. Tim is really cool guy, and I would love for Tim to find someone really amazing, someone to share his life with. I didn’t know the stuff about French fries (me too!), HGTV (me too!) and how he loves Manhattans. Let me see… what’s in a Manhattan? Whiskey, vermouth and bitters? Gross. I’m not into that. I loathe vermouth but I love whiskey. So I’ll drink straight whiskey while Tim sips a Manhattan and we can lay in bed together, reading English-y books while our mutts sleep at the foot of the bed. That’s my new happy place, y’all.
Photos courtesy of WENN.