We hope this story is not true, because it’s quite ridiculous. Supposedly Cruise has ordered a custom-made pacifier for Katie Holmes to gnaw on during childbirth so that she can keep quiet while squeezing the baby out in accordance with Scientology edicts:
“He commissioned an adult-sized ‘binky’ for her to clench between her teeth, hoping that it’ll squelch her screams,” a source tells the mag. “In keeping with a Scientology silent birth, Tom is prepared to do whatever it takes to muffle Katie’s moans and groans during the delivery.”
Cruise’s PR rep, Arnold Robinson, denied the existence of an adult pacifier. As for its manufacture, a spokeswoman for NYU’s School of Dentistry told Lowdown: “We haven’t heard of it, but it doesn’t mean a dentist wouldn’t do it.”
Actually it doesn’t matter if this is true or not, because we know for certain that Kate is supposed to keep quiet during childbirth and that’s bad enough. I personally had a drug-free childbirth and it’s possible with hypnosis and a lot of preparation, but I could not imagine trying to keep quiet in the pushing stage. It’s really hard to get the baby out and there’s nothing wrong with making a little noise.
Someone on the JJB board (board is down now or I would link to it) mentioned that Scientology was created by a man in the 1950s who was a failed science fiction writer. There’s so much more to it than that, including nefarious motivations and some truly evil practices, but that about sums up L. Ron Hubbard’s knowledge of childbirth.
The Scientologists also recommend a barley-based formula for babies, although many Scientologists deny that the cult discourages breastfeeding.
We really wish Katie the best and think it’s terrible how much pressure is being put on her to conform to the ridiculous and misguided rules of Scientology. Childbirth is hard enough without having to be quiet and hand your baby over to strangers after it’s born.
Written by Celebitchy
- Mariah Carey lip synced on American Idol [CDAN]
- Colin Firth is looking good [Lainey Gossip]
- Internet celebrity charged with murder! [D-Listed]
- What is Paz Vega wearing? [Go Fug Yourself]
- New bachelors on The Bachelorette [Reality Tea]
- Goodbye to The Office [Pajiba]
- Bachelor Sean’s fiance cheats on him [Evil Beet]
- Britney Spears out with her man [Popsugar]
- Nina Dobrev works it [Popoholic]
- Cindy Crawford needs to lay off the ‘tox [Celebslam]
- Who said it: Carrie Bradshaw or The Dalai Lama? [Buzzfeed]