Last Friday, Amanda Knox’s second murder conviction was overturned in Italy. She is officially free, although one could argue that even if the conviction had been held up by the Italian Supreme Court, Knox would still be a free woman because it was always doubtful that the American authorities would extradite her. So, what’s next for Amanda Knox? Well, according to Knox’s lawyer, Amanda is maybe going to sue for financial compensation for the four years she spent in prison.
Amanda Knox may have one final fight left in her. Just days after she and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito were acquitted of murder charges, the 27-year-old is said to be heading back to Italy. Knox’s lawyers confirmed to reporters that she will be headed to a Lo Stivale court to seek compensation for the four years she spent in prison for the murder of her roommate Meredith Kercher in 2007.
“She will be seeking compensation for wrongful imprisonment,” Carlo Dalla Vedova, her attorney, told the Telegraph.
Meanwhile, Sollecito’s father, Francesco, told media outlets that deciding upon a settlement amount has been no easy feat for the two twentysomethings.
“You could hardly quantify a compensation figure, it has been such an awful business,” he explained. “We were pilloried.”
That’s interesting. I don’t blame people for seeking financial compensation when a grave injustice has been done, but in Knox’s case in particular, didn’t she get a big book deal? Didn’t she sell the film rights to her story? I’m sure her lawyers have been paid and I’m sure Amanda has money to live on. But I guess she wants to prove, one last time, that she was wrongfully convicted. I wonder if Meredith Kercher’s family will seek some kind of compensation or further explanation for what happened as well.
Meanwhile, Raffaele Sollecito (Knox’s former boyfriend and co-defendant) was acquitted too, and he has released several statements about his ordeal. He told People Magazine that he was grateful that the “nightmare” was finally over. He said that when he heard the news about the Supreme Court’s ruling, he celebrated with his family. And he says Knox called him that night. Here’s part of his statement to People:
“At times, I realize that I do not yet feel a complete sense of freedom. I was trapped in this for so long that now I won’t be able to switch back to how my life was before. Part of me will never be the same. Part of me is destroyed.”
“I am obviously very happy for Amanda, since I knew from the start that she had nothing to with it and I believed in her innocence. But now it is time to move on. I no longer want this tragedy to tie us together. I no longer want to be known as ‘Amanda Knox’s former Italian boyfriend.’ I want to be known for something else than being connected by the prosecutors to a gruesome murder in which I had no part. I prefer to be known as Raffaele Sollecito, the guy who faced all of this and came through at the other end.”
“I still have a hard time in doing even the most basic things, like smiling. I have to remind myself of how to even smile. People will say to me: ‘Hey! Cheer up! It’s all over! Smile!’ but for me it hasn’t really sunken in.”
I do feel sorry for him. I believe in his innocence way more than I believe in anyone else’s. And I’m glad that he no longer has to live with this cloud over his head.
Photos courtesy of WENN, Getty.