Spoilers for Walking Dead, which are shown in the trailer, follow:
The Walking Dead dropped a new trailer for season seven at Comic-Con on Friday. I’m glad there are comic fans unpacking it for us because otherwise I would have only a fraction of an understanding about what’s going on in the new scenes. It starts with a hazy montage of clips which looks amateurish and like it was fan made. Many redditors are saying that they didn’t believe this was an official trailer at first due to how poorly it opens and I agree. The transition effects look straight from the early 2000s and the clips are of the most schmaltzy moments with the core cast. It’s like two different trailers mashed into one though because after that it includes brief glimpses from this upcoming season. We still have that cliffhanger from the end of last season, and as if to highlight again what a piss poor decision that was none of the major characters from that scene appear in the new scenes in this trailer, except Negan and maybe a couple people in the background, it’s hard to tell. So we don’t know who met the wrong end of Lucille, although we get to see that bat with blood dripping off it.
Here’s a breakdown of some of the new scenes in the trailer, which start at 1:31 above. Thanks to Ronny Haze/Make a Path Presents for this, I’m basing this analysis on his YouTube video analyzing each of the scenes. Warning: links have major spoilers from the comics, which may or may not apply to the show. Note: I’m not doing this in order of the scenes in the trailer but by topic.
We’re introduced to King Ezekial and The Kingdom
- First scene is Morgan and Carol with horses heading to The Kingdom, another compound which is in the comics. Carol is probably slumped over a horse. We hear Morgan say “I’m not going to let you die out there.”
- Carol seems to have recovered and Morgan is also fine. We see him fighting walkers and wheeling Carol around The Kingdom, which has a farm and horses.
- 2:20 Carol looks really crazy. This may be the scene where she meets Ezekial and his giant tiger. She says “I don’t know what the hell’s going on in the most wonderful way.”
- We also see trucks with wooden cages built around the back. These are thought to be from The Kingdom and in one scene Ezekial is seen in the background on a run for supplies with his people.
- Also, that giant CGI tiger is everything.
We see inside The Sanctuary, The Saviors’ Base which Negan runs
- Second scene is inside The Sanctuary, The Saviors’ Base. The walker is probably a security measure.
- 1:43 Many people are excited about this scene with Negan, when everyone kneels when he walks by. Apparently there’s a parallel scene in the comics except Carl is with him.
- Spencer says “we should have made a deal with them when we could have.” In his analysis video Haze states that this is a reference to something that happens in the comics with Negan.
- Negan is shown knocking at the gate in Alexandria, he’s probably there for supplies
The Hilltop gets attacked
There are two scenes which show The Hilltop getting attacked, at around 2:10 and again at 2:30 with Gregory looking out a window.
Dwight is wearing Daryl’s vest
- 2:00 Dwight is looking up and there are splattered walkers all around him. Apparently there is a scene in the comics where Jesus throws a walker off an overpass as a distraction. They may be doing that here on a larger scale.
- 2:08 Dwight, who is shooting at someone, is wearing Daryl’s vest apparently.
Sidenote: the woman saying “whatever he’s done to you, there’s always war” is thought to be Sherry, one of Negan’s wives. She’s probably speaking to Dwight. Given how much we’re seeing Dwight, he’s going to have a bigger role this season.
Tara probably has a capsule episode
There are scenes with Tara at the end of the trailer where she’s shown hiding in a ditch and presumably smashing someone in the face with the end of her gun. She seems to be in some kind of woods-based encampment which is camouflaged. (The actress who plays Tara, Alanna Masterson, just had a baby in November.)
[Most wording is mine and based on video from Make a Path Presents]
Also: Enid is alive and well, Jesus is doing his thing and there’s of course so much speculation as to whom Negan killed. Some people see Rosita in the background of those scenes, but it’s unclear if it’s her and if it is, what that means about whom Negan picked. (He could have moved the person to the middle first, meaning that if that was Rosita we can’t assume that she was right next to the victim in the lineup.)
I’m excited for The Walking Dead, but that’s a full three months away and we still have the dog days of summer to get through. There’s something awesome about The Walking Dead premiering right before Halloween, it helps fans like me get into the mood for the season.
Here are some photos from the panel at Comic-Con! It really seems like all these guys are good friends and love working together, that’s pretty much what every actor says about TWD.
photos credit: FameFlynet and Getty