Royal sources: There’s no ‘Balmoral Summit, they’re barely talking about the Sussexes

Less than a day after the news broke about the Reverse Sussexit, the Prince and Princess of Wales arrived at Balmoral with their children. The Wales family is known for putting in an appearance at Balmoral, nothing more and nothing less. They arrived last Thursday, and I would bet that the family will be out of Scotland by the end of business on Tuesday, if not earlier. Given the gigantic news about the Sussex family returning to the UK in a matter of days, the obvious headlines wrote themselves: “The Balmoral Summit,” where Prince William thrashes around, screaming his head off, all while Camilla and King Charles beat a hasty retreat to Birkhall. There’s probably some grouse shooting too. Well, “royal sources” told the Telegraph that any and all gossip about a Balmoral Summit is false. The left-behinds are barely even aware of Harry and Meghan, you see.

Whatever you do, don’t call it a summit. Or a crisis. The Royal family, locked away at Balmoral, as is tradition at this time of year, are there for their summer holiday. The King arrived on Tuesday, just in time for news that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are moving back to Britain. The Wales, Edinburgh, Phillips and Tindall families have joined him there, with the Princess Royal and Sir Timothy Laurence completing the register. Whatever will they have to talk about? Photographs of working and non-working royals driving to the castle seem to show a harried set of senior royals dashing to discuss Prince Harry’s homecoming.

“There is no summit,” insisted multiple palace sources. “It’s their holiday.”

While it is true that there has been “no change of plans”, as one source put it, in light of the Sussexes’ news, it has necessarily changed the atmosphere.

“There has been a relatively short period of calm after years of drama and then serious illness,” another source said. “Balmoral is sort of sacred time for the family, especially because it is so associated with their memories of the late Queen and Prince Philip. They are together; it’s just a happy time. The fact that the world now seems to be watching for signs of drama … they understand why, but it’s not ideal.”

The car photos, in fact, showed the family driving to and from a shoot in Corgarff, near Balmoral. The Prince of Wales was seen driving his wife, while the King, the Princess Royal, Mike Tindall and the 18-year-old Earl of Wessex drove other cars. They will probably go to church together on Sunday, where some of the family will be photographed again.

Inside Balmoral, there is a packed programme of barbecues, walks, formal meals and dances. This week and weekend, there will be time for the family, including the King’s grandchildren, great-nieces and nephews, to let their hair down in the Scottish Highlands.

One source said that the topic of the Sussexes’ return had been discussed “of course”, but less as a strategic master plan and more as family gossip.

“It’s the topic you finally open up after killing as much time as you can to avoid it,” another claimed. “It’s hardly a summit, it’s Balmoral barbecue.”

There will be time, inevitably, for the King and Prince of Wales to talk properly. They are aligned on maintaining the status quo for the Sussexes: no working roles and no half-in, half-out. They are facing pressure to consider a “Sandringham Summit II”, to remind the Duke and Duchess of the terms “they signed up to”, as one former royal source puts it, in 2020.

Other advisers are more sanguine, believing it would be pointless. The palace has no jurisdiction over the Sussexes, as non-working royals, other than the conventions of family loyalty and decency the system relies on. Moreover, there is a reluctance to treat a transatlantic move as a crisis.

“This isn’t 2020,” cautioned one source. “It’s nowhere near as big [an issue] as people stepping back from all royal duty to make money.”

The King is said to have given assurances to his elder son and heir that he will prioritise the Royal family. There is an awareness, on the part of the King and future king, about how to protect the remaining working royals, whose daily duties are less lucrative and more arduous than those who have now left. There is a “collective feeling”, it is said, that the late Queen’s wishes – no half-in, half-out – should be followed.

“There was also a model for being a non-working royal, set by Zara, which the Sussexes didn’t want to follow,” said a source. “This is all new territory for everyone.”

[From The Telegraph]

It’s incredibly funny that the courtiers are in the rota WhatsApp, trying to say that of course the Sussexes have been discussed, but everyone feels very sanguine about everything. Please. That being said, my interpretation is more nuanced – I don’t think it’s a summit either, but not for lack of trying in William’s case. William would love nothing more than to have a summit so he can rage-shriek at his father and order the king to punish Harry and Meghan for daring to step foot on British soil. What I’m getting from this story is that Charles isn’t playing along with William’s melodramatic theatrics. Charles probably IS going back to Birkhall and forcing the rest of the family to handle Bill’s little baby tantrums. And yeah, everyone at Balmoral is talking about it. What a funny thing to lie about.

Photos courtesy of Avalon Red, Cover Images. Cover courtesy of the Sun.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

33 Responses to “Royal sources: There’s no ‘Balmoral Summit, they’re barely talking about the Sussexes”

  1. Chenni says:

    If nothing billy is getting drunk, cathy is cyber stalking meghan for fashion and rest of family stockpiling food and resources from that palace. So far only prince Edward and princes anne free loading family in Scotland along with billy.

  2. JillinIL says:

    This here is the key line to me:

    “The palace has no jurisdiction over the Sussexes, as non-working royals, other than the conventions of family loyalty and decency the system relies on.”

    No kidding! How hilarious would it be for them to “demand” a Sandringham Summit II only for H&M to say “yeah, no thanks” and go about their business? Also, just wondering…do the “conventions of family loyalty and decency” include letting the tabloids abuse your son/brother and his wife? And….what part of “decency” does continuing to support and protect Andrew fall under? Questions, questions…..

    • Magdalena says:

      Charles and William and their aides can’t have any Part II Sandringham Summit because they would have to admit that it was the leftover royals’ cutting off security and funding shortly after the start of the 1-year review period which they insisted on, and leaking the Sussexes’ location in Canada (and again at Tyler Perry’s house in the US) which actually violated the agreement and rendered anything that Prince Harry agreed to (and it was not much) null and void. In doing so, they well and truly set Harry and Meghan free, and I love this for them.

      Good to see them finally admitting that they have zero control over anything H+M do, despite all their pretence to the contrary.

  3. tamra says:

    Who do, who do you thiink you’re fooling, or lie, lie,lie, deny, deny, deny! LOL

  4. sunniside up says:

    Even if they hadn’t been bullying Meghan , Harry would have had to step away to earn a living before his father died. If Harry were still in the family when William took over William would have ensured that Harry would get nothing. The system doesn’t allow for anyone other than the next King to get it all, Death duties.

  5. Elizabeth says:

    That phrase ‘locked away’ sounds less like a fun, summer holiday at the family estate and more like they are in prison. Such a poor choice of words!

    • Visa Diva says:

      The “let down their hair” at formal dinners and dances doesn’t sound relaxing at all.

      • Harla says:

        The late queen and her family would dance Scottish reels in gowns and tiaras, lol. Apparently they family really enjoyed it but it sounds like too much for me.

  6. fwiw says:

    A Sandringham Summit II to remind the Sussexes of what they agreed to? Maybe Harry could remind Charles & Will of their shenanigans instead. Perhaps Charles could reimburse Harry for the rest of the first year of security Charles had agreed to pay.

  7. Amy Bee says:

    The drama that the Palace, press and royalists complain about was self- inflicted. If they had just left Harry and Meghan alone, had some discipline and weren’t racist, there would be no so-called drama.

    • Hypocrisy says:

      Absolutely this is the monster that the leftovers created themselves…. Willy has been living with a maximum amount of incandescent rage directed at the Sussex’s for so long it actually shocks me he hasn’t had a stroke or heart attack by now, his BP has to be in the danger zone at this point.

  8. Henny Penny says:

    The thing that really stands out to me in all of this is how truly weak and powerless William is at this point. Charles has been signaling for quite some time that he doesn’t respect William, but it’s obvious to me that nobody else does either.

    Over the past six years, William had his chance to show them world what he’s made of, and now everybody knows that it ain’t much. I think whatever is up with William behind the scenes is really, really bad, so bad even Bulletproof Sunshine couldn’t fix it. So, I’m predicting a Regency is in the works, and Willie needs to be more careful about his helicopter habit.

    • Eliza says:

      Nailed it. Regent Harry.

      • Lady Digby says:

        I agree @ Henny Penny Prince William has had decades to prepare, develop relevant skills and experience. His shield went in 2020 and then the actual Queen died in 2022 having been failing for the previous two years. Will has had SIX years centre stage to prove himself worthy as heir when he was NEEDED. Crisis points were 2020 and then 2022 and crucially in 2024 when he SHOULD have finally stepped up. He didn’t. Instead he has been in various stages of retreat: doing less, saying no to foreign office trips, missing Anzac and VJ events and retreating to Forrest Lodge. James O’Brien during Friday ‘s LBC radio show compared Will to Starmer and Harry to Burnham! It’s NOT feasible for Will to work as little as he does when King. The RF and Firm want monarchy to continue: they are ruthless and won’t let William drag them all down. He can be replaced.

  9. Tessa says:

    Nobody can let down their hair at balmoral. Its all infighting. Charles even invited andrew

  10. Becks1 says:

    I’m sure it’s the only topic of conversation and I’m sure William is raging out. The one source saying that it’s a topic of gossip but not a “summit” is taking the right approach but the rest of the article kills that approach LOL.

  11. Andrea says:

    Based on the google analytics someone in Scotland is searching like crazy “Meghan media reception in the US” and “Harry and Meghan media reception in the US” lol

  12. Harla says:

    Ahhh, so now they are admitting that there is a “non-working royal” model, Zara apparently. She works and makes money off her connection to the royal family and is still invited to Christmas, Easter and balcony appearances, before William lost his mind. To say that it wasn’t what the Sussex’s wanted is nuts, it seems to be exactly what they wanted and they even mentioned it several times that others were allowed the “half-in/half-out” model.

    • Mairzy Doats says:

      Not sure if I recall correctly, but wasn’t one of Harry’s earlier proposals was simply for them to be allowed to take a 5-6 month sabbatical/rest to go somewhere, anywhere for a respite from the madness, while everyone sorted out what a future role could look like? They were both stressed and exhausted and raising an infant — it would have been a kind thing to do. Denying them “family leave” after denying Meghan mental health resources shows their determination to shake her loose from Harry. Family businesses suck.

  13. Penelope Cowell Doe says:

    The Sussexes refused to grift like the Tindalls because they have standards.

  14. Alex says:

    Charles and Camilla have been in Birkhall since early August; they don’t live at Balmoral Castle. I suspect WK hasn’t even talk with C&C. William and Kate will leave Scotland after today.

    • Mairzy Doats says:

      Apparently C and W only communicate via aides, and rarely directly to one another. I wonder if Charles spends any time with his grandson who is in line to be king someday, as Elizabeth did with William.

  15. Jayna says:

    I really hope Charles has many more years as monarch, so William doesn’t gain all the power.

  16. kelleybelle says:

    Bull. They are totally consumed by the Sussexes and have been for a full decade now.

  17. Tessa says:

    Didn’t the keens spend more vacation time on expensive resorts than balmoral

  18. Nic919 says:

    Grouse shooting is not real hunting because these birds are raised specifically for this and no serious environmentalist would take part in it.

    And they brought out the kids today for church along with Kate showing off her super tanned face again.

  19. TurbanMa says:

    I hope they go to Africa next just live a life of leisure a year at a time. Anywhere they go they will do something good for the local people and economy. They are a blessing. I want to hear William crying the UK is miiiine Harold.

  20. Eurydice says:

    William’s not talking about it. He’s rocking in a corner, alternately sucking his thumb and gibbering, “harry..hate..hate…harry…hate…”

  21. Lady Digby says:

    James O’Brien did an hour long segment on his Friday radio show about how media attempted to brainwash us to hate Meghan for reasons known to right wing press. I don’t buy the Daily Outrage and I don’t buy their opinions but a fellow passenger on my village bus on Friday lambasted me through the journey because I refused to listen to her repeating to me hateful crap about Meg that she’d just read from that rag! I politely told her that I disagreed and wished to change the subject but she insisted that she had every right to vent. I attach the link to the radio show and the responses James O’Brien gets from listeners proves not everyone has been brainwashed.
    Britain was told to hate Megha…–James O’Brien Daily – Apple Podcasts https://share.google/WoW5CnANifx0ler46

  22. QuiteContrary says:

    Grouse hunting (gross) and grousing about H&M are definitely on the agenda at Balmoral.

    Sounds like so much fun compared to say, a vacation in Portugal!

Commenting Guidelines

Read the article before commenting.

We aim to be a friendly, welcoming site where people can discuss entertainment stories and current events in a lighthearted, safe environment without fear of harassment, excessive negativity, or bullying. Different opinions, backgrounds, ages, and nationalities are welcome here - hatred and bigotry are not. If you make racist or bigoted remarks, comment under multiple names, or wish death on anyone you will be banned. There are no second chances if you violate one of these basic rules.

By commenting you agree to our comment policy and our privacy policy

Do not engage with trolls, contrarians or rude people. Comment "troll" and we will see it.

Please e-mail the moderators at cbcomments at gmail.com to delete a comment if it's offensive or spam. If your comment disappears, it may have been eaten by the spam filter. Please email us to get it retrieved.

You can sign up to get an image next to your name at Gravatar.com Thank you!

Leave a comment after you have read the article

Save my name and email in this browser for the next time I comment