Buckingham Palace swears that taxpayers won’t pay for Prince Andrew’s legal defense

I’m not sure how seriously we can take royal biographer Andrew Lownie at this point, but Lownie is definitely one of the few royal-media people to really talk about Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson’s connections to Jeffrey Epstein before everything blew up last year, with the release of the Epstein Files. Lownie had made the media rounds this week, and he gave several interviews after Prince Andrew was arrested on Thursday. Lownie told NewsNation that everyone should be keeping their eye on several big stories to come: that there will be some news on who paid for Andrew’s settlement to Virginia Giuffre in 2022, and there will be more information coming out about what King Charles knew and when:

It’s the question the palace has been dreading — and the one that may ultimately determine the future of the British monarchy: What did King Charles know about Prince Andrew’s activities, his dangerous associations, and his legal exposure? And when did he know it? According to royal biographer Andrew Lownie, the answer is almost certainly: more than anyone has admitted. And for much longer than the public has been told.

Lownie is unequivocal on this point. Intelligence services, he says, routinely reported to the Queen and her private secretary — and would have done the same for King Charles. Foreign Office officials complained about Andrew for years. And when it came time to negotiate the settlement with Virginia Giuffre, the palace’s own lawyers would have laid out the full charge sheet.

“When they went to do the settlement, they would have said: What’s the charge sheet here? How do we deal with this? Can we fight this off? Are we going to have to pay hush money to keep it quiet?” Lownie said “I have no doubt that lots and lots of people in the palace knew about this — and that’s what’s so uncomfortable now.”

The settlement itself, Lownie suggests, traces directly back to Charles. “The information I have — and the information I know one of the papers looking at this has but won’t go public on — is that it was Charles’s money.” Though that has been officially denied, Lownie is firm: “The fact is, he was involved in decision-making to pay this money. He must have known what was at stake.”

To understand how the palace could have known, you need to understand what the palace actually is — which, Lownie argues, is considerably more than a ceremonial institution. “It’s like the Vatican,” he explained. “They have a very good intelligence service, lots of former intelligence officers working in the palace. They even have as equeries MI6 officers.”

During his research into the Duke of Windsor, Lownie saw firsthand how thoroughly the palace monitors its own: police protection officers filing reports, MI5 surveillance, royal archives containing documents that had “vanished everywhere else.” In other words, the idea that Andrew’s activities — his Epstein ties, his foreign associations, his potential security vulnerabilities — could have escaped palace notice strains credulity.

[From NewsNation]

I believe that Charles has had a great deal of knowledge about Andrew’s activities for some time, and I believe Charles absolutely signed off on Andrew’s settlement to Virginia. But I don’t believe Charles supplied the settlement money. I still believe the money came from QEII and the Duchy of Lancaster funds. I also believe QEII likely funneled a great deal of money to Andrew over the years, as well as doing the most to shield her favorite son from any repercussions for his depravity. QEII knew a lot about what Andrew was doing too. Meanwhile… Buckingham Palace has let it be known (aka they briefed the Telegraph/Rota) that the taxpayers will not be on the hook for Andrew’s legal defense:

Buckingham Palace will ensure the taxpayer does not foot Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s legal bill, The Telegraph understands. If the former Duke of York is unable to pay for his own legal representation, the financial burden “will not fall on the public purse,” a well-placed source said.

It is unclear from which pot the Royal household will find the money, although sources suggested that the King would not pay his younger brother’s bills himself.

On the question of who might help Mr Mountbatten-Windsor – and defend him in court – there is one man who remains in his circle: lawyer Gary Bloxsome. “He’s the only man still by his side,” one source admitted on Thursday. The criminal defence solicitor was taken on by the former Duke of York in 2020 when the FBI was circling with questions about his friendship with paedophile financier Epstein. As it turned out, it was an inspired hire. While other friends and associates slowly peeled themselves away from the tawdry crisis that engulfed the beleaguered royal, Mr Bloxsome stood firm.

[From The Telegraph]

“Will not fall on the public purse…” Technically, that’s what the palace has said about Andrew’s living situation in Sandringham as well, that taxpayers are absolutely not picking up the bill for Andrew living in Wood Farm or any other home in Norfolk. They say that King Charles is paying for Andrew’s living situation “privately.” A linguistic distinction which I’m sure will be recycled here – Charles will find some way to “privately” finance Andrew’s legal defense.


.

Photos courtesy of Avalon Red.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

8 Responses to “Buckingham Palace swears that taxpayers won’t pay for Prince Andrew’s legal defense”

  1. Lady Esther says:

    Lownie pins it all on Charles, which means only one thing: William. Next move in the Game of Thrones is yours, Charles

  2. Lady Digby says:

    I can’t believe people are calling for Charles to step aside from ruling on health grounds so that Will can ruthlessly clear up Andrew ‘s mess. Will wants no such thing. Grandmother and dad are responsible for Andrew so they must be blamed and Chuck has to sort it out in such a way that he continues to shield the monarchy from legitimate financial scrutiny. Andrew is expendable and as such he needs to be careful of horse riding anywhere near grassy knolls from now on.

    • Eurydice says:

      Yeah, if I were William, I’d steer clear of this mess – lay low, do whatever work he pretends to do and let Daddy clean out the stables.

    • Hypocrisy says:

      I think Willy is behind these articles/talking points.. He has been briefing like his father was on life support for a while now and I’m sure Willy sees blood in the water and thinks it’s a good idea to get what he wants and that is for his father to step down, the Sussex’s to be stripped of their titles and for AMW to be stripped of titles also. Good thing the focus is on the victims.

  3. Hypocrisy says:

    Oh please 🙄 as if we would believe that. Chuck will be paying so unless he is planning on getting more bags of cash from other countries the rest of his funds are from taxpayers so even if indirectly taxpayers will be paying.

  4. Chuckles and lots of other Windsor’s were aware for a long time of what the pedo was going and turned a blind eye to it all!! Until it became public and now they are treading water trying to distance themselves from it!!! As for the taxpayers paying? I’m sure Chuckles will find a way for them to pay for it!

  5. Lucylee says:

    The monarchy is for entertainment purposes. I can’t believe this clownery has been going on for” over a thousand years.”

  6. TN Democrat says:

    All the money and privileges the royals have are because of tax payers, whether through direct funding or through tolerating their tax dodging and occupying what should be public property and treasure. The prosecutors literally represent the crown and if Charles funds Andrew’s defense with “private funds”, it is a massive conflict of interest. He will represent the prosecution while paying for the defense. Messy, messy. 🍿

Commenting Guidelines

Read the article before commenting.

We aim to be a friendly, welcoming site where people can discuss entertainment stories and current events in a lighthearted, safe environment without fear of harassment, excessive negativity, or bullying. Different opinions, backgrounds, ages, and nationalities are welcome here - hatred and bigotry are not. If you make racist or bigoted remarks, comment under multiple names, or wish death on anyone you will be banned. There are no second chances if you violate one of these basic rules.

By commenting you agree to our comment policy and our privacy policy

Do not engage with trolls, contrarians or rude people. Comment "troll" and we will see it.

Please e-mail the moderators at cbcomments at gmail.com to delete a comment if it's offensive or spam. If your comment disappears, it may have been eaten by the spam filter. Please email us to get it retrieved.

You can sign up to get an image next to your name at Gravatar.com Thank you!

Leave a comment after you have read the article

Save my name and email in this browser for the next time I comment