Miley Cyrus talks ‘scary’ allergic reaction, she’s back on tour this Friday

Miley Cyrus

Here’s a photo of Miley Cyrus on Easter when she was still taking it easy after her her extreme allergic reaction to antibiotics that landed her in the hospital. She spent a week in a Kansas City hospital bed and tweeted miserably for awhile before figuring out that she needed to be quiet. Last week’s issue of Star wrote a rude article about Miley’s health crisis. The tabloid said Miley was really in detox. I know Miley smokes pot and pops molly, but c’mon. If she was detoxing, she wouldn’t have been in the mood to tweet rubber octopi.

Miley’s back in Los Angeles right now. She had to reschedule a bunch of US concert dates for August. Her team must feel good about her health because she’s ready to start her European tour. She plays Friday in Amsterdam (oh lordy). Miley spoke with Ryan Seacrest about her “scary” experience:

Here’s what happened: “So basically I had gotten sick while I was on the road. I was on this medicine for five days, everything was all good, and on the sixth day, I just woke up and it was so scary. I had basically been poisoning myself with something I didn’t know I was really scary allergic to.”

Why she couldn’t get better: “Being on the road, especially me, I’m not someone that wants to lay down and actually get 100 percent better. It was like every two or three hours I would be OK, and then all of the sudden it would happen to me again. It was insane. I was begging the doctors, ‘Let me out just to do the show,’ but there was basically no way. That was the hardest part.”

She’s climbing onboard the Ryan Seacrest Foundation: “I’m actually so excited to get more involved and help more of the kids … It’s such an intense situation. I don’t know how these kids do this.”

The worst part? “I was crying because I was so bored. I’m laying here hooked to all these machines. Every two hours, some woman comes in and pokes me with a needle, just miserable … I’m just laying here with nothing to do … I ended up doing some online shopping.”

She’s feeling much better: “I’m doing good, much better, happy to be on the phone with you guys. I should be all good. I’ve been really good.”

A joke about the future: “I’m trying to figure out out I can get a fashionable yet good ID bracelet so I can actually have something that says I’m allergic to this medicine.”


Miley got lucky. She recovered from what could have been a life-threatening reaction. I do think it’s funny that she was complaining about being bored throughout the whole experience. To Miley, being bored is the worst thing ever. Let’s hope she can stay healthy now.

Now for something a little more frivolous. There are new photos and videos of Miley’s crazy backyard at the Mail. She has a giant white (fake) horse, a replica of the Hollywood sign, and $25,000 teepee, y’all. She also needs to have her pool cleaned.

Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus

Photos courtesy of Miley Cyrus on Twitter, Fame/Flynet & WENN

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

33 Responses to “Miley Cyrus talks ‘scary’ allergic reaction, she’s back on tour this Friday”

Comments are Closed

We close comments on older posts to fight comment spam.

  1. That backyard offends my feng shui landscaping sensibility.

    • kri says:

      @TOK She makes all my baguas ache. I dunno about this girl. Antibiotic reaction happen fairly often and can be really bad. whatever the case, I’m sure the rest was def needed. I just hope that giant horse won’t need an equine psychotherapist-that would cost alot, and god only knows what it has seen and done!!

    • blue marie says:

      ha, I just choked on my sandwich damnit. she needs to have someone mow that grass.

    • Tiffany :) says:

      I’ve seen so many amazing backyards in this area…I am kind of shocked at how unpleasant her backyard looks. It could be so nice!

  2. aims says:

    That particular picture with her ass hanging out is beyond classy. I’d be so proud of my daughter looking up at this feminist trail blazer…. eye roll

    • Bucky says:

      Skimpy clothing does not automatically equal anti-feminist, good grief. If anything, she’s not catering to anyone else’s idea of sexy or sexuality but her own. I believe Miley is in charge of Miley’s costumes, her shows, her antics, her life.

      Celebitchy’s defnition of feminism is … troubling.

      • anon33 says:

        Actually, it’s a philosophical difference between third wavers and second wavers (and maybe even fourth wavers at this point in time.) So, you can certainly consider it “troubling,” but that doesn’t mean that all feminists agree with you.

  3. Justanother21yo says:

    “I had basically been poisoning myself with something I didn’t know I was really scary allergic to ”

    GRAMMAR!! – scarily allergic to

  4. mimif says:

    Noooo I did not just see her and Wayne Coyne on the DM pics, where’s a spoiler alert when you need one.

  5. Colu says:

    All I got from this is that I would love to have that teepee in my backyard. Blazing on up on a summer night with friends in a giant teepee sounds like a pretty cool evening to me.

    Also, a medical id bracelet for an antibiotic allergy? Sit down Miley. You just want (more) attention.

    • MJ says:

      Medical ID bracelets are very common for antibiotic allergies. I know three people with them.

    • Marigold says:

      I wear one. Some antibiotics are given automatically if you have a secondary infection. And if you’re not awake to say “no, don’t give me that…” It’s really just so if I get to the hospital knocked out, someone sees it and puts it all over my chart.

    • Tessy says:

      She’s smart to wear a bracelet. If she got sick enough from the drug to stay in the hospital for a week, its a severe reaction. If she were to be given the drug again, the reaction would be even worse. It could even kill her.

    • jwoolman says:

      I’d wear one if I could stand a bracelet (can’t deal with pressure on my skin) . I need to put a card in my wallet at least and hope I have it with me. My first experience with cipro was quite unpleasant, and like Miley I was fine for the first few days. I would be worried that worse would happen the next time.

  6. Talie says:

    I’m allergic to the same med — it gave me a rash, which apparently could’ve been way worse.

  7. QQ says:

    Our brief blissful reprieve of not having to hear of/from this Hood Troll Wannabe is over

  8. Sighs says:

    Alright. I’m throwing some major side-eye at this girl. And I say this as someone who has had a lot of bad reactions to a plethora of medications.
    Usually Miley is very TMI, but here she just says, “it was scary” and “it would happen all over again”. What exactly? A rash? She couldn’t breathe? Swelling? Vomiting? No detail at all from the girl who normally can’t keep her big mouth shut (both literally and figuratively)?
    I also question the, “people kept putting needles in me every 2 hours”. When you’re in inpatient in the hospital the first thing they do is hook you up to an IV, and almost all medications or bloodwork are taken directly through the IV. No need to poke. The only time I’ve ever gotten additional pokes was that one they do in your belly to stop you from clotting after a surgery.
    That was so vague. And I’m not saying you have to splash your medical history all over TMZ, but she does everything else, so why so vague about this….?

    • Marigold says:

      Same. That was vague, intentionally so, IMO.

    • Olivia says:

      Since you have experienced allergic reactions, I have a question. Does it usually take 5 or so days for an allergic reaction to show up and do you feel good with the medicine for that time only to suddenly take a rapid turn for the worst. I have seen people have allergic reactions to medicine but they are usually within the first 24 hrs and the people have never appeared to be on the mend.

      I agree about the vague describing of her symptoms and the IV used to administering medicine as opposed to hourly shots.

      • Tiffany :) says:

        That stood out to me as well. I am not a fan of Miley, so I am trying not to get on her case about minor things as a result of bias, but it doesn’t make sense to me that an allergic reaction would happen after you have been taking a drug for 5 days.

      • Tessy says:

        Yes it can. One of my friends went to emergency for an infection in her leg. They gave her IV antibiotics. They ran the first bag through, waited awhile and started the second dose. Suddenly she lost consciousness and if a nurse hadn’t been walking past and looked at her right at that moment she would have died. I didn’t realize how dangerous they were until that happened, and I used to be a paramedic.

        Allergic reactions to antibiotics can happen at any time during treatment. My mother in law also had a bad reaction to antibiotic pills after taking them for a couple of days, she started getting hives, then her face started swelling. She was taken to emergency and they had to give her epinephrine. They released her that evening, but it took her quite awhile to recover. Her skin was blotchy and itchy and she felt awful.

        Do not take antibiotic allergies lightly, if you should develop hives, swelling or other symptoms, discontinue immediately and see a doctor asap. And never take it again because each reaction will be worse.

      • Sighs says:

        One of my more severe reactions was to an antibiotic, and it took 4-5 days, but it was an inside the mouth rash, canker sores and swelling. The doctor thought if I just quit the drug the reaction would stop, but it just kept getting worse and I ended up in the ER to get steroids. I actually never recovered fully from that, and now seem to have some sort of auto-immune disease? Or something? For which I am now on infusions (which, ironically I am slightly allergic to, so have to have antihistamines & steroids every time I get them), or my mouth will flare up again, along with a host of other things. Sorry, that was long-winded. So, yes, it can take a few days, but if it’s severe, ie anaphylaxis, that usually happens pretty quick.

        I was in the middle of an MRI once and they put in the contrast and I immediately broke out in horrible itchy hives from the chest up within about 30 seconds.

        And, yes reignbow girl, they can take blood from an IV line. I’ve had it done. They just stop the medicine flow first.

        The reason I side eye this as well, is because if she was getting “so ill” every 2 hours, enough for them to keep her in the hospital and get meds every 2 hours, she wouldn’t be tweeting such picture perfect tweets. They usually just dose you up with benadryl and steroids and let you go as soon as it clears. If she’s getting IV benadryl every few hours (because what else would you be getting for an allergic reaction?) she would be on her ass. I’ve had 3 doses of IV benadryl + steroids on top of Claritin within a 4 hour period and let me tell you, you are not tweeting anything on that. You’re pretty much passed out. That stuff is potent from an IV. If she’s really getting that sick every 2 hours, she does not look like that. Shit, I don’t look like that on a good day, let alone in the hospital with a major reaction.

      • Sighs says:

        Tessy, sounds horrible. But even then, your MIL went home the same evening, even after epinephrine. Why would they keep Miley for days when she’s obviously well enough for cute tweets with an friggin octopus? And who the heck gives the girl in her 20’s her oxygen mask with characters on it? My son has one of those. You know, except he’s 5.
        Sorry, the whole thing just irks me and seems way off.

    • ReignbowGirl says:

      IVs are for the infusion of medications and fluids, not for withdrawing blood. And, yes, it can take several days for a reaction to appear, as it builds up in your system.

      Source: Someone who’s had my share of operations and hospital stays, and is also allergic to many antibiotics and only finds out about a new one after taking it for a few days.

      • Allikitty6545 says:

        ok let me clear this up for you guys. I am a Nurse Practitioner and was an Emergency Room nurse for years before I was a NP.
        #1. IVs are for putting stuff in and taking stuff out. i.e.- giving medications and taking blood out for labs.
        #2. She could have Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (google it) from taking the antibiotic, and yes, that would have taken a number of days to show up.
        #3. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening medical emergency that happens quickly after exposure to the offending substance, usually within 30 minutes. Given that she said her symptoms did not appear until 5 days later leads me to believe that did not have an anaphylactic reaction.
        #4. Her face in all of her selfies looks quite normal meaning that she did not angioedema which is another reaction to an offending allergen and would require a week long hospital stay.
        All of this being said I am not sure if I believe the story about her stay being caused by antibiotics.

    • jwoolman says:

      When I was dragged into the ER with a runaway UTI, they hooked me up to an IV to administer the antibiotic (I was unconscious until the antibiotic started reducing the bacterial population in about a half hour or so). The doofus doctor kept me on the IV for two days because he was a doofus (really). All that time, I was being poked and prodded and pricked with test needles and having BP taken etc probably every two hours also. I finally convinced the nurse to stop testing blood sugar by pricking my finger because 1) i had to type with my fingers for a living, 2) my blood sugar had been completely normal throughout except for a brief elevation most likely due to the stress of being dragged out of my happy home (long story) and not being able to eat for two weeks. When I finally escaped from the hospital, both arms were badly bruised from all the blood they kept taking and the IV. And all I actually needed was an antibiotic. The problem was that they wanted to find another reason that didn’t exist, because nobody bothered to take a history. Did not inspire confidence in the local medical personnel.

      So I believe Miley. And yes, I was never so bored in my life.

  9. Emily C. says:

    Why on earth didn’t someone bring her a handheld game system? A DS or Vita or etc? Jeez, being a child star cut her off from the world in more ways than education.

    (I know what it’s like to be too sick to read a book, so I’m not going to ding her for that, but Animal Crossing would have saved her a lot of pain.)

    • jwoolman says:

      They may not have thought of it or wanted her to rest. She’s very social but probably the doctor was limiting her activities and also she may not have felt as chipper as she presented. Video games take some concentration and also you need to feel good enough. I’ve been dealing with sciatica plus some innards problems for several weeks and stopped playing games entirely. Pain and Tetris or Candy Crush do not mix well for me. When I was sick several years ago with my grossly mismanaged UTI (very long story), when the real doctor (instead of the original doofus) took over the relapse, I knew I was on the mend when I could have cartoons on in the background, as is more typical for me. When I was really sick, that was too distracting. There’s just a certain threshold that has to be reached for such things. Even if bored.

  10. LAK says:

    I go with detox

  11. Kim says:

    Dear God, if she’s bored now what is she going to do when people stop looking completely