Katy Perry thanks first responders after collapsing on the American Idol set

Katy Perry
Here’s a story that could have had a much more tragic ending than it did: Last week, a gas leak caused the evacuation of the Sunriver Resort in Sunriver, Oregon, while Katy Perry, Lionel Richie, and Luke Bryan were filming American Idol auditions there. Katy was the first one to say that she smelled gas. Shortly after, she was overcome by the fumes and collapsed. If that’s what really happened, you can read more about that below. People has more:

“Do you guys smell gas? It’s pretty intense,” Perry said.

“We’re getting heavy propane,” Bryan, 43, told the Idol producers.

“I have a slight headache from it,” Perry added, standing up to leave the studio. “Oh it’s bad, it’s really bad.”

Soon, all were evacuated as firefighters showed up on the scene to de-escalate the situation.

“This is not a joke, there really is a gas leak,” Bryan said, as the judges gathered outside.

“I’m not feeling good,” added Perry, before falling to the ground.

All turned out to be okay, with emergency rescuers tracking down the issue to a problem in the resort’s kitchen.

[From People]

Katy thanked the firefighters who responded for “saving [her] life,” and three of the first responders auditioned for the show with their rendition of “All Night Long.” They got golden tickets to Hollywood.

That’s scary and I’m glad that Katy and everyone else was OK. I’m one of those people who smells gas (and electricity) fairly quickly, so tend to realize when something is wrong. People think I’m strange, but I’d rather have a really sensitive nose than not. I’ll echo Katy’s thanks and say “Thank you!” to anyone reading who is a first responder: You don’t get enough respect and thanks for the selfless work that you do in your communities. (Thank you to the families of first responders, too, who spend time worrying and without their relatives so that the rest of us can get the help we need in crises.)

Here’s a promo clip of that incident, as shown on ET Canada. Katie collapses at about 1:03. The ET Canada host asks if American Idol is overdramatizing the event and of course they are. Katie posted a video where she was on her phone when she was lying on the ground, so she may have been clowning somewhat. A gas leak is very serious and Katie did have a headache from it.

Embed from Getty Images

Katy Perry

photos credit: Getty and Avalon.red

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

8 Responses to “Katy Perry thanks first responders after collapsing on the American Idol set”

Comments are Closed

We close comments on older posts to fight comment spam.

  1. Hotsauceinmybag says:

    In December I came home after a couple of drinks and before even opening my front door I smelled gas. Once I opened the door the smell was overwhelming. I went to the kitchen and saw that someone had left one of the stove knobs turned on (no flames), just fumes. I was relieved that was it, but was PISSED at my roommates. One of them had done it and no one (there’s three of them and they were all home) bothered to investigate the smell. I let them have it the next day. I thank my lucky stars that I decided to go home that night as I had been spending nights at my mom’s apartment for 2 weeks. In NYC we are extra vigilant here as a few years ago we had some gas leaks that resulted in apartment building explosions and loss of life.

    Fun fact: gas is actually odorless so that weird smell you smell is an odor added by gas companies to help the human nose detect the smell.

    Stay safe and vigilant my fellow celebitchies!

  2. Lucy2 says:

    That is scary, and can make you feel pretty bad. I was in an elderly woman’s house one time, and immediately smelled it, turned out it was coming from her dryer. She had no idea and didn’t smell anything! And a house in my town fully EXPLODED from a gas leak a few years ago. Always grateful for firefighters !

    That said, Katy’s “collapse“ looked fake as hell, LOL.

    • Esmom says:

      My grandma once moved into a cute little rental house and swore she smelled gas all the time. It was such a nice place and no one else could smell it or identify the source but she moved out anyway!

  3. Maaite says:

    I’m sorry, but something doesn’t sit right with this story. I hate to say it is a farce, but it’s an awfully convenient storyline for a show that’s past it’s prime.

  4. LindaS says:

    Thats Katy Perry in the picture? Sure has done something to her face