Did the Sussexes cancel a fundraiser for veterans because of their Netflix deal? No.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex attends The Invictus Games 2020 launch

So many events have been cancelled this year because of the pandemic. Some events have gone virtual, which is fine, but I think it will be a while before people are actually throwing in-person fundraisers and charity events. Which sucks, because a lot of those charities and foundations actually need to raise money this year especially. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex had been set to host a fundraiser for injured veterans last week, but of course it was cancelled… because of the pandemic, right? Wrong! “People” are suggesting that the fundraiser was cancelled because of something something the Sussexes’ Netflix deal!

Prince Harry and wife Meghan Markle faced criticism for canceling a scheduled fundraising event for injured veterans last week, shortly after signing a multiyear media production deal with Netflix just days before, worth over nine figures.

The fundraising event was reportedly going to raise at least £1 million for the Invictus Games Foundation. The Invictus Games, created by Harry, is an international multi-sport event, focusing on wounded, injured or sickly armed service members, who participate in nine sports including wheelchair basketball, sitting volleyball, and indoor rowing.

A story in the Sunday Times said the event was set to be aired on Amazon, which is considered a direct competitor to Netflix, causing a financial conflict. The exclusive content of the Netflix deal includes a docu-series, documentaries, films, scripted shows and children’s programs. There was to be a music and comedy show in California this coming June, that was likely to be held at The Hollywood Bowl. Singers Beyoncé and Ed Sheeran were among those set to make an appearance.

An Invictus spokesperson claimed the event was canceled due to the coronavirus and claimed it had nothing to do with the couple’s streaming deal. The 2020 Invictus Games were to be held in April, but were scrapped due to COVID-19, the Daily Mail reported.

[From Page Six]

Does anyone actually believe that Harry and Meghan would cancel a fundraiser FOR VETERANS just because of a streaming-service non-compete clause? Let me tell you something: any entertainment lawyer drawing up those contracts would have a grandfather clause in the Netflix contract for these kinds of things, as in Harry & Meghan would have been able to do an event with Amazon because THAT deal had been made months beforehand. Of course the fundraiser was cancelled because of the pandemic. These people are so stupid.

Also: it looks like Harry complained to the press commission in Britain about this story, which originated in the Times of London. The Sussexes’ lawyers have been issuing statements like: “The true position is that the format of the event was no longer viable in light of COVID 19. These factors were separate to and independent of our client’s deal with Netflix.” Everyone involved with Invictus says the same thing: the event was cancelled because of the damn pandemic, not the damn Netflix deal. Again, this story is soooo stupid.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle exit The Royal Albert Hall

Photos courtesy of WENN, Backgrid and Avalon Red.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

30 Responses to “Did the Sussexes cancel a fundraiser for veterans because of their Netflix deal? No.”

  1. S808 says:

    According to Newsweek it was never even set in stone. There was a proposal, but they didn’t go toward with it cause of covid. The production company that pitched it must’ve been upset a deal wasn’t made and blabbed to the first RR they could find.

    • Amy Bee says:

      I was going to the say same thing. The project never got to the planning stage because of COVID. Apparently the production company who pitched the project has done tv programmes on the royals including one on William that came out last month. That “documentary” was hosted by the person who wrote the Sunday Times story. It seems that the producers were just upset that they couldn’t do the show and the journalist put 2+2 together and got 6. The story has now been pulled from the Times website.

      • S808 says:

        Good, it was HIGHLY unprofessional of the production company. They shot themselves in the foot. Any chances of IG or Harry with working them in the future is probably over.

      • Snuffles says:

        So the production company Spun Gold have ruined their chances of EVER working with Harry and Meghan again.

      • Myra says:

        Interesting. I always side-eye comparisons between the Sunday Times and The Washington Post. I mean surely a decent journalist would consult more than one source to make sure that they are not being fed bs from a petty person

      • Tealie says:

        @ S808 that’s any chance of them ever working in the industry or with the respectable celebrities is over that’s an extreme breach of confidentiality and such a lack of professionalism it’s unbelievable. And what’s funny is that the RR’s are likely gonna to drop them too since they’ve been exposed and only have loyalty to the cause lmao!

      • BayTampaBay says:

        There are trolls all over other blogging sites making up lies stating the fundraiser was cancelled do the the Netflix deal and Harry was not “man enough to to call and inform Invictus himself” but made his PR person do it

        I read the exact same word-for-word comment or should I say word-for-word lie on 10 different sites today.

    • ABritGuest says:

      Funnily enough the production company has been working with the Times writer on a documentary about William the future king. So I’m betting they were a salty source for this article which is now part of a legal complaint. Invictus said idea of event had to change because of Covid. The proposed venue is closed.

      And as some have said Invictus is a separate entity so it’s dealings are separate from Harry’s. Like contracts have to be confirmed by directors or trustees so doubt Harry as a patron can just veto a deal. Harry also still has an Apple program coming so this idea that Invictus couldn’t work with Amazon because of Harry’s deal with Netflix is nonsensical.

      • Hope says:

        How many times will someone connected to William run to the press with a negative story about Harry? What is wrong with William to behave this way?

        This is trash behavior and it is so public. Charles needs to grow a backbone and smack down this nonsense. William is behaving like trash. Enough with the tantrums and incandescent rage.

      • Tealie says:

        You have to remember that Harry is not only the patron but the founder of the Invictus games, The only reason he couldn’t be CEO of the foundation is because Royals aren’t allowed to get into financial (we’ll Harry isn’t since we know the whole thing is just full of hipocrasy businesses or have their own companies or direct charities which is why he is a patron, he likely does have a share and very big say in what goes more than the typical ‘patronage’. But I do agree they’re not going to cancel the whole fundraiser because of Harry and neither would Harry stop the whole fundraiser because he’s got to do something else at the moment. But I do agree they’re not going to cancel the whole fundraiser because of Harry and neither would Harry stop the whole fundraiser because he’s got to do something else at the moment, they are just full of shit.

  2. Sofia says:

    The Invictus Games and Harry and Meghan personally are two different things. What one does/has does not and should not effect the other. Invictus Games is it’s own organisation and can have their own opportunities that does not effect what the Sussexes do and vice versa.

  3. Snuffles says:

    https://twitter.com/invictusbypepp/status/1303295854007201793?s=21

    The person who wrote the story was Roya Nikkah. Roya has a project on Prince William with the production company, Spun Gold. Spun Gold was the company who pitched the Invictus concert idea. So she got the “story” from Spun Gold who were probably pissed that their pitch didn’t pan out and wanted to blame Harry and Netflix.

    If Roya was a REAL reporter, she would have done her due diligence and reported that the idea was scrapped because of the PANDEMIC and not Netflix. But she was so eager to trash Harry’s name, now her a$$ is getting SUED.

    • notasugarhere says:

      He’s sent in a formal complaint. We can only hope he does sue her, or Invictus Games sues her for trying to tarnish their reputation in exchange for clicks.

    • Izzy says:

      It has been joyous to watch her getting dragged on Twitter for it.

    • Nic919 says:

      The libel has already taken hold in certain circles so Harry has a decent case for damage to his reputation over that absolute lie regarding the cancellation of the fundraiser. Roya needs her ass sued for this. It’s one thing to make nasty comments on twitter or blog posts, but she published this in an actual newspaper.

      • Tealie says:

        It’s much harder to social distance at a freestanding concert, than at a seated and sports venue I assume

      • MsIam says:

        @Tealie it has nothing to do with that and everything to do with CA law. If the state is still prohibiting gatherings over a certain size due to COVID next year then the event would have to be canceled and any presale ticket money refunded. Which would defeat the idea of a fundraiser for Invictus. They don’t want to take that chance on something that may not be allowed to happen.

  4. Betty says:

    I thought I read that they canceled the concert that was scheduled in 2021. I was confused as to why the invictus games would still be on for 2021 but not the concert.

  5. Watson says:

    This is a particularly gross smear.

  6. Valiantly Varnished says:

    Im surprised these people aren’t nursing strained muscles from all the reaching they do.

  7. Lisa says:

    I am glad Harry sent his lawyers after her for this nonsense that she used to try and tarnish his reputation and the games.

  8. Vanessa says:

    Anything to further damage Meghan and Harry reputation to lie like this so boldly these royal reporters are getting out control and notice the connections between this productions company and their ties to William . And its no wonder they would boldly lie on Harry someone is jealous of the Netflix deal and what’s to do damage Harry reputation further I’m so happy harry send in his lawyer I hope he sues this horrible nasty woman . Everyone who every follow Harry for years know how he feels about the military I didn’t think the royal reporters and family couldn’t haven’t gotten any lower but they have .

  9. mimi says:

    The timing of the announcement is extremely awkward though, isn’t it?

    • CrbnFtPrnt says:

      The timing is not awkward, did you read the other response that said there was nothing to cancel, because it was only a proposal. The timing of the lie is spiteful. Roya is trash

  10. MsIam says:

    If The Sunday Times was a real newspaper they would make that Roya resign or outright fire her. She should have disclosed her prior relationship with that production company. But I’m sure it will be business as usual.

  11. Hellah says:

    This lnvictus article by notorius liar Roya Nikkah, is the second one by her hand, her paper, The Sunday Times/Time Group, had to take down within weeks.
    On July 26th she wrote a piece about Meghan, falsely stating that she had ignored Thomas Markle’s calls multiple times in the lead up to the wedding, while this was already debuncked in the court documents Meghan had provided; Thomas had lied. The Times group had to take that article down.
    Harry, now taking legal actions against her latest visious lies to stain his reputation, is longtime coming. The anger and bitternes with which she’s been attacking H&M in articles and with commentary for years now, is completly unsane.

  12. Mariane says:

    I’m glad to hear that hary filed a complaint. I hope he sues her and all the other liers

  13. Nyro says:

    They screwed up when they put Beyonce’s name in there. Because she runs a tight ship and you won’t know what she’s doing until it’s all done and she wants you to know, regardless of who she’s working with. That’s how I knew that fundraiser wasn’t serving stone.

Commenting Guidelines

Celebitchy aims to be a friendly, welcoming site where people can discuss entertainment stories and current events in a lighthearted, safe environment without fear of harassment, excessive negativity, or bullying. Different opinions, backgrounds, ages, and nationalities are welcome here - hatred and bigotry are not. If you make racist or bigoted remarks, comment under multiple names, or wish death on anyone you will be banned. There are no second chances if you violate one of these basic rules.

By commenting you agree to our comment policy and our privacy policy

Please e-mail the moderators at cbcomments at gmail.com to delete a comment if it's offensive or spam. If your comment disappears, it may have been eaten by the spam filter. Please email us to get it retrieved.

You can sign up to get an image next to your name at Gravatar.com Thank you!

Leave a comment