The coroner’s report is in on the cause of death for Simon Monjack, the widower of the late actress Brittany Murphy. Murphy passed away suddenly at the age of 32. collapsing in her bathroom last December after suffering from a flu-like illness. There was rampant speculation that she died from a drug interaction or overdose, but the coroner ultimately ruled that her death was caused by pneumonia, anemia and “multiple drug intoxication”. Just a few months later Brittany’s widower Simon Monjack, 40, also living in the same mansion where she passed in the Hollywood Hills, died at home. People wondered whether it was a pre-existing heart condition or a drug overdose, but just like Brittany he died of pneumonia and anemia.
Autopsy results for the Clueless star’s screenwriter widower, Simon Monjack, reveal that he died of acute pneumonia and severe anemia—nearly the exact same cause of death as Murphy, E! News has learned.
Los Angeles Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter confirmed that while Monjack did have some legal medications in his system, he did not succumb to a prescription drug overdose or multiple drug intoxication; drugs were listed as a contributing factor in Murphy’s death.
Additionally, the medical examiner ruled out heart disease as a contributing factor. Monjack had reportedly been experiencing heart problems before his lifeless body was found on May 23 in the same Hollywood residence he shared with Murphy, and in which Murphy died on Dec. 20. In yet another tragic coincidence, both were found by Murphy’s mother, Sharon, who also lived with the couple.
Monjack and Murphy were buried next to each other at Los Angeles’ Forest Lawn Memorial Park.
Winter told E! News that his office will conduct one more test on Monjack at the request of his family, but did not disclose any details what that might be.
The official autopsy report won’t be made available for another two weeks.
In response to today’s news, Sharon Murphy said that she was relieved that “the media speculation can stop” regarding what killed her son-in-law.
“As I was sure of, just like my daughter Brittany there was no kind of drug overdose,” she said in a statement released by publicist Roger Neal.
“I am calling on the media to stop the reckless innuendos, that my daughter and son-in-law misused any kind of prescription medications. Thank you to the thousands of people who have sent letters and emails letting me know I am in their thoughts and prayers. I am getting stronger every day.”
[From E! Online]
The fact that both Brittany and Simon died of pneumonia and anemia could be a coincidence, but it seems suspicious to me that they were both living in the same home and died at such young ages from the same cause. I was once very ill for months from mold in the attic of a second floor apartment I was living in at the time. (The landlord never sealed the attic adjacent to the apartment, knew it was leaking, and never told me until I was already sick and discovered the mold. It was a nightmare.) Black mold can cause pneumonia-like symptoms and anemia and Brittany’s mother should have the home inspected immediately.
A few months before his death, Simon gave Radar Online a tour of the very messy bathroom in which Brittany Murphy passed away. Brittany and Simon were not the tidiest people and it’s possible they overlooked something in the house that may have led to a mold infestation. That’s pure speculation, but I worry for Brittany’s mom, a breast cancer survivor, if she’s still living in that house. It’s just too strange and sad that a young couple who lived there died within a few months of each other of the same cause.