Yesterday, we discussed James Franco. Franco was “snubbed” for a Best Actor Oscar nomination for The Disaster Artist, which I believe was the whole point of the LA Times rushing to publish their story on him during the Oscar-nom-voting period. I also believe that had Franco gotten an Oscar nomination, media outlets were prepared to publish additional stories about Franco. What will happen to those stories? I hope they still come out. Good Morning America spoke to two of Franco’s accusers yesterday too – one says Franco is not a Weinstein-level predator, but the other made it sound like Franco is still an abusive douchebag.
Even though he was snubbed, Franco is still doing damage control on his image, and still trying to create an air of “these women are liars but I’m truly woke, so I will let them speak.” From E! News:
James Franco’s performance in The Disaster Artist was not recognized by The Academy’s 2018 Oscars nominations, a snub that has apparently left the actor with mixed emotions.
“James is disappointed in not getting an Oscar nomination,” a source tells E! News, “but also very understanding and somewhat relieved. He doesn’t want it to look like the snub is correlated with the allegations against him.”
Weeks ago, five women accused the 39-year-old actor of sexual misconduct in a Los Angeles Times exposé. Two of Franco’s accusers have also appeared on Good Morning America to share their accounts. The claims, which allege a range of inappropriate and exploitative behavior against his former students, have been denied by Franco. The insider adds, “James is trying to get through this rocky patch and hopes everything will blow over appropriately. He is really leaning on his family right now and trying to stay under the radar as much as possible.”
Franco did show up to last Sunday’s 2018 SAG Awards in support of his nomination in the Best Actor category, which he lost to Gary Oldman. He’s won awards for The Disaster Artist at the 2018 Critics’ Choice Awards and Golden Globes, where Franco’s Time’s Up pin drew criticism from people online.
In the wake of the accusations, a source previously described Franco as “not doing well” and said his inner circle was “really worried about him.” Meanwhile, a separate longtime friend of Franco’s told E! News exclusively, “He is really hurt because he didn’t know that we would be in a place where giving someone a voice would be giving someone a license to speak without any accountability.”
Being accused of assaulting, abusing and exploiting women = “this rocky patch.” Personally, I think it’s a little bit sad/funny when we’re in this in-between stage of not knowing the extent of a douchebag’s behavior and the douchebag still thinks that he can weather the storm. Harvey Weinstein had a few days like that too, where he thought he could “public relations” his way out of scandal.
As for this: “He doesn’t want it to look like the snub is correlated with the allegations against him.” Surely the right word is “caused” not “correlated”? Because there is correlation between the accusations and the Oscar snub, but the accusations might not be the causation.
Here’s Franco, keeping a low profile at the SAGs.
Photos courtesy of PCN and Getty.