Runaway Bride fails to get treatment for thyroid condition, gets dumped

A while ago we read through the hilarious letters sent into the Duluth, GA police department where runaway bride Jennifer Willbanks told her ridiculous tale about being kidnapped and forced to perform sex acts with a fictional Latino couple.

Many people suggested that Willbanks suffered from hyperthyroidism, also known as Graves Disease, which causes sufferers’ eyes to pop out of their head, and can cause anxiety and frantic behavior. Willbanks also has what’s known as a goiter, or an enlargement of the thyroid gland, which you can see by looking at her neck in the picture above.

Willbanks has finally been dumped by her dupe of a fiance, John Mason, over a year after the famous incident. Of course she should have been kicked to the curb a while ago:

A year ago Jennifer Wilbanks bolted into tabloid infamy as the “Runaway Bride” when she faked her own kidnapping for three days on the eve of her wedding in Duluth, Ga.

To the amazement of many, fiancé John Mason quickly took her back, with the couple even moving into a large new home in an Atlanta suburb and talking about taking a second run at marriage.

But in early May Mason’s camp let it be known that any nuptials were off – and suddenly the woman who couldn’t take “I do” for an answer seems to be having a problem with “I don’t.”

“I’m not confirming or denying the breakup,” Wilbanks, 33, told PEOPLE May 14. “John and I have some things to work out.”

But to Mason’s family and friends there is no doubt that this time the split is for good. “I think John realized there were some fundamental differences in their personalities that he wasn’t going to be able to deal with,” a friend says of Mason, 33, who runs his family’s Duluth medical-care business.

Whatever the cause of the breakup, Mason’s family voiced relief at the turn of events. “We’re just glad there’s a final resolution,” John’s father, Claude, who was to have been his son’s best man, told PEOPLE.

People says that Willbanks has performed the 120 hours of community service she was assigned for causing the fake kidnapping scare, and has paid back $15,000 of the cost the local police incurred for the search.

What we’d really like to know is if she ever saw an endocrinologist.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

Comments are Closed

We close comments on older posts to fight comment spam.