Michael Jackson may have passed away over seven months ago, but there’s still a criminal case and surely dozens of lawsuits involving his estate pending. Jackson’s live-in doctor, Conrad Murray, plead innocent to charges, leveled in court yesterday, of involuntary manslaughter. His bail was set at $75,000, which he met. Along with being officially charged in his famous patient’s death, Murray’s license was restricted and he is no longer able to prescribe or administer anesthetics. Jackson’s family, including his parents and brothers and sisters, attended the hearing.
Jackson died from an overdose of Propofol, a powerful anesthetic that is only intended for use in hospital settings. He was being given the drug at home without the use of monitoring devices, like an EKG, that could have saved his life.
The official coroner’s report on Jackson’s death was released yesterday. His death was ruled a homicide caused by Propofol. The reports also contained details of the scene at Jackson’s home, and it’s a sad reminder of all the stories we heard at the time about how the King of Pop lived out his last days.
There are a lot of sordid details, but the one that stuck out for me was that there wasn’t even basic safety equipment in place, like dosage monitoring and resuscitation equipment. I don’t want to recount everything else, and if you’d like to read it you can. (There’s more information, including the report, on TMZ.) It just makes me sad to think about how this world renowned entertainer died. His doctor should definitely be held culpable in his death.