The Independent Spirit Awards have always been held the night before the Oscars, but this year they decided to move it up to the Friday before the Oscars. I have no idea why this happened, but whatever. Everyone showed up and got drunk and won big, with Precious and Crazy Heart being the two favorites of the night. Additional coverage here and here.
All of the Precious winners are nominated for Oscars too – The Precious team took Best Picture, Lee Daniels took home Best Director, Geoffrey Fletcher took Best First Screenplay, Mo’Nique took home Best Supporting Actress and Gaby Sidibe took home Best Actress. Daniels jokes during his speech that “Kathryn Bigelow’s not here tonight… I am.” Meanwhile, Mo’Nique took time during her speech to thank Sidibe, saying “You are a special gift to the universe, baby.” When Sidibe won, she showed off her “independent spirit” by announcing that she “saved up my money for a week so I could see Welcome to the Dollhouse… [I thought] I could do that!” Sidenote: Once again, Mariah looks drunk off her ass.
Meanwhile, Crazy Heart took Best First Picture, and Jeff Bridges took Best Actor, just as he’s done at the Golden Globes, SAGs, Critics Choice and practically everywhere else. I like the leather!
Woody Harrelson won Best Supporting Actor for The Messenger - he’s up for an Oscar too. Woody was gracious, thanking the other nominees in his category, saying “I think you’re all better. It’s never felt right to me to declare a winner. We’re all just actors and lucky to be doing this … of course now, it feels a little more right.”
Additional Spirit Award winners included: Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber for Best Screenplay for (500) Days of Summer. An Education got Best Foreign Film, and Anvil! The Story of Anvil won Best Documentary. The Robert Altman Award (for director and ensemble) went to the Coen Bros and the cast of A Serious Man.
Here are some more cute photos from the night:
Additional photos of the Spirit Awards, including photos of Colin Firth, Jodie Foster, Carey Mulligan, amongst others, credit: FayesVision/WENN.
Written by Kaiser
- Brad Pitt & Jimmy Fallon yodel [Pajiba]
- Jennifer Love Hewitt got her baby daddy a job [Lainey]
- D-Listed's comments are back! [D-Listed]
- What is Eva Longoria wearing? [Go Fug Yourself]
- Real Housewives of OC recap [Reality Tea]
- A candidate for next Taylor Swift boyfriend [Buzzfeed]
- Vintage gossip: Ava Gardner [Evil Beet]
- Popular celebrity baby names [Popsugar]
- Emma Roberts looking scrawny [Popoholic]
- Bear gets right next to guy in tree! [CDAN]
- Melissa Joan Hart and Ryan Reynolds? [Celebslam]
- Mariah Carey poses in monokini [Starcasm]