Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren’t really trying to endear themselves with their fans. Over 2000 people showed up to get copies of the girls’ book Influence signed yesterday. But first they had to follow a long list of rules, including not speaking to the Olsens (I guess they could try, but they were informed that the Olsens would not be speaking back), not taking pictures, not asking questions, and wading through the massive throng of PETA protestors outside.
FANS of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen gladly lined up to get the tiny twins to sign copies of their book, “Influence,” yesterday – but they had to follow a slew of rules at the Union Square Barnes & Noble.
Racked.com posted a long list of obligations for anxious collectors. “Mary- Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen will be with us for a limited time,” the sheet stated. “They will only be signing copies of their book . . . They will not be speaking, reading or taking questions.” The 9-point list also warned that the Olsens “will not sign any memorabilia or product other than ‘Influence;’ ” “There is a limit of one book per person and, “There is no photography allowed. You must put away your camera or cellphone before approaching the signing table.” Meanwhile, Olsen-hating activists from PETA were parked outside the store in unflattering masks of the sisters, reports The Post’s Aliyah Shahid.
[From the New York Post]
The PETA protestors are anti “Trollson” (as they call the twins) because the girls use fur in their clothing lines. Yesterday was the rainiest, coldest weather so far this season. It was 37, pouring rain, and windy. Those are some super committed PETA activists. They also kept me out of a KFC last week, so I guess they’re getting their job done.
Curious what other rules you must obey in order to view an Olsen in person?
1) Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen will be with us for a limited time. They will only be signing copies of their book, Influence. They will not be speaking, reading or taking questions.
2) Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen will NOT sign any memorabilia or product other than Influence. There is a limit of one book per person, and your one book must be purchased here.
3) You will be directed to pay for your book upon entering the store and will be given a receipt for your purchase. Please keep your receipt. You will receive your book at the signing table.
4) Along with your receipt, you will be given a B&N wristband, and then directed to the event space on the 4th floor. You must have a receipt and a wristband to access the 4th floor.
5) Anyone approaching the signing table must have paid for the book and be wearing a B&N wristband. One person, one wristband, one book.
6) You will collect your signed book at the signing table. If you have paid for any additional copies, a staff member will provide you with those before you exit the space.
7) There is no photography allowed. You must put away your camera or cell phone before approaching the signing table. The authors will not pose for photos.
8) If you leave, or the authors leave, before you are able to collect a signed book, you may present your receipt to a cashier for either an unsigned book or a refund. (Refunds only issued within 14 days of receipt.)
9) There will be no extra signed copies available after the authors leave the store. They will not be able to sign for anyone who is not on line. No pre-orders.
Racked has a pretty funny list of entries they live blogged at the “draconian” event. As we mentioned yesterday, the girls certainly have some security fears, some of which are understandable. But it also seems like they have some “interacting with other people” issues, which aren’t quite so excusable.