God, who doesn’t love Christopher Plummer? Captain Von Trapp, y’all! He’s a lot more than Captain Von Trapp though – he’s been a working non-stop since the early 1950s, in television, theater and film. So after sixty years in the business, and no history of any major awards, isn’t it nice that at the age of 82, he’s on this crazy awards streak?
Plummer came into tonight’s Oscars as the closest thing to a sure bet – he had already won the Golden Globe, a Critics Choice Award, a SAG Award, a Spirit Award, a BAFTA, and numerous critics awards, all for his quiet turn in the independent film, Beginners where Plummer plays a dying man who comes out of the closet in his last months on earth. So while Plummer’s Best Supporting Actor Oscar victory wasn’t surprising, it was well-deserved, a perfect confluence of a wonderfully tender, resonant performance from a man with decades of enviable work under his belt. It was for the performance and for his career. Well done!
When Plummer won, I was surprised he forgot to kiss his date for the evening, his wife of 41 years, Elaine. She’s been his date throughout the awards season, which is lovely. Elaine is actually his third wife… but I’m not going to judge him. He got it right in the end, you know? And he clearly adores her. Anyway, in his speech, he said, in part:
[To the Oscar statue] You’re only two years older than me darling, where have you been all my life?” I have to thank my fellow nominees, Kenneth, Jonah, Nick, Max… I’m so proud to be in your company… I wouldn’t be here without Mike Mills… Ewan McGregor, that superb artist, who I would share this award with if I had any decency, which I don’t….and finally, my long suffering wife Eliane, who deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for coming to my rescue every day of my life…”
[Transcribed from speech]
Congrats to Mr. Plummer! YAY!! I’m really happy that he won. I loved that he got a standing ovation, but I also loved that Plummer is too much of pro to hog the spotlight, and he didn’t draw everything out. Pith is an underrated virtue, and Mr. Plummer is a classy gentleman.
Photos courtesy of WENN.
Written by Kaiser
- The Blemish interviews Carmen Electra [The Blemish]
- Rumer Willis joins Pretty Little Liars [Lainey Gossip]
- Morgan Freeman falls asleep during interview [D-Listed]
- Fug or fab: Isla Fisher [Go Fug Yourself]
- Tamra Barney confirms spinoff [Reality Tea]
- Movie franchises that rebounded [Pajiba]
- Why Dylan McKay is the perfect boyfriend [Buzzfeed]
- Saoirse Ronan could have been a Lohan [Evil Beet]
- GIFs from Cannes [Popsugar]
- Cat massages a dog [CDAN]
- Heather Graham is so pretty [Celebslam]
- What is Lucy Hale wearing? [Moe Jackson]