Yes, Ethan Hawke is the very definition of “doucheface.” But OMG, I would hit it. I always say that and I always get yelled at for it. But I am unashamed. Anyway, Ethan is promoting his new Richard Linklater film, Boyhood, which is getting really, really good reviews. To promote the film, Ethan did my favorite Us Weekly feature, “25 Things.” Ethan’s 25 Things are funny/interesting/infuriating, not least of which is that he self-identifies as a feminist (yet he’ll give interviews about how much he hates monogamy and fidelity).
1. I sometimes wear a goatee because I can’t grow a full beard.
2. I try to never be late.
3. Sometimes I am late.
4. My first kiss was right after the slow skate at a roller rink in Hamilton, New Jersey.
5. One of my favorite costars remains a half-breed wolf I met on the White Fang set in Alaska.
6. I have three daughters [Maya, 16, Clementine, 6, and Indiana, 3], all born in July.
7. I have a dog named Nina, after Nina Simone, and a cat named Rascal, after the book Rascal by Sterling North.
8. I am a feminist.
9. I hate vacations.
10. Unless my wife hides all the candy and sweets in our house, I will eat them all.
11. I have lived in New York City for 25 years.
12. I am 43 years old and have been in 43 films.
13. I love Mexican food.
14. I won High Times magazine’s Best Actor Bong for my performance in Richard Linklater’s Tape.
15. My son [Levon, 12] can beat me at table tennis, but I can beat him in basketball. (I’m still taller.)
16. My favorite thing to do is go to the movies. I could, I’d see three films in a day.
17. My mother [Leslie] founded and runs a non-profit in Romania for educational rights for the poor.
18. I have published two novels, Ash Wednesday and The Hottest State.
19. My stepbrother [Patrick Powers] is a member of the Green Berets.
20. I’ve never had a cavity.
21. I have a motorcycle license but no motorcycle (four kids, remember).
22. My wife [Ryan] says I’m the best lover in the world.
23. My mother says I’m really smart.
24. My kids say I’m the world’s best dad.
25. My wife, my mother, and my kids are the smartest people I know.
His wife says he’s the best lover in the world? Your move, Clive Owen! Gah. Is it wrong that I think Ethan probably is really good in bed? It’s always the weird ones. They surprise you. I like that he admits that he can’t grow a full beard. We know, dude. But if you’re going to wear a goatee, could you at least groom it a little? Thanks.
As for Ethan self-identifying as feminist… I have my doubts about just how “feminist” he is in real life, but I always applaud any man who realizes the important of self-identifying as such and being an ally to women’s rights. Especially for a father of three girls (all born in July, that’s so random).
Here’s the trailer for Boyhood:
Photos courtesy of WENN.